Due to many possible causes chipper knives or counter knives can break.
- the broken knife has to be exchanged. An inspection of the metal detectors is recommended to avoid foreign bodies within the wood
- Inspection of every parameter (cooling, positioning, abrasives)
- Inspection and (if necessary,) cleansing of contact surfaces; adherence of installation parameters as specified by the manufacturer
- hard to detect and often barely visible (only by magnetic particle inspection)
- Choose a smaller toughness for the future
(recommendation for chipper knives 55-57 HRc and for counter knives 53-55 HRc)