If your knives do not achieve the requested lifespan, or the cutting quality reduces drastically after just a few applications, we talk about downtime problems.
We differentiate between downtime problems of new and regrinded knives.
As a first step, examine your knifes‘ quality as related to the cutting goods (Durapid, Duritan, Incomet Supreme). Do you have the possibility to upgrade the quality, eg. Duritan to Incomet Supreme?
If the knifes‘ quality is correct, examine its geometry.
Recommendation: Use a sharp angle for small grammages and an obtuse angle for higher grammages.
Firstly, examine the knifes‘ sharpness. In case of a blunt knife, it should be professionally grinded and adjusted.
Pointers to blunt knives:
- Reducing cutting quality
- Notches on the cutting goods
- The cut is louder and appears lumbering
The next testing parameter are the Schneidleisten. Do you use the correct Schneidleiste in combination with the knifes’ quality?
- The qualities Durapid, Duritan & Duratec are best combined with a Polypropylen Schneidleiste with a hardness of 75-78 Shore D.
- The hardmetall qualities Incomet Supreme & UltraCut are best combined with a Polyamid Schneidleiste with a hardness of 81-83 Shore D.
Please examine the knifes‘ immersion depth into the Schneidleiste as well.
Our Recommendation for optimal immersion depth:
- Immersion depth of 0,1 mm at the maximum
- Regularly change or turn the Schneidleisten
Examine the surface pressure.
Our recommendation for optimal surface pressure:
- Use a high surface pressure for soft paper
- Use a low surface pressure for hard paper